Water well , it is first to know the origin of the plant that is watered, and the rain regime that it prefers. We do not water radishes and a cactus in the same way! By simulating the frequency and intensity of the rain the plant is accustomed to, you will have little chance of drowning or thirsting it.
The quality of rooting is important for determining the frequency of watering. For example, if you have just planted, water more regularly: the roots have suffered a little from the transplant and we need a little help! Conversely, gradually, watering can gently force the plant to get the water deeper rather than rely on your watering can!
Error often seen: Sometimes, when we see leaves blacken and curl up, the plant is drowning, not drying. Know how to distinguish!
How to do it
- Recovery is the right idea! If you can, install a water recuperator , it’s simple, economical and really practical.
- A basic trick: if you use tap water – if you do not have a recovery system – always fill the watering well before – I fill up after watering, like that after watering can is always full and ready to use – the chlorine evaporates in a few hours, and with it other not so nice stuff. The water will also be at a temperature close to that of the earth, which will prevent your plants a thermal shock.
- Some plants do not like the limestone water of our cities! Each plant has its favorite diet: for those who do not yet use Groww , our gardening help site, it’s time to take an interest!
- Avoid as much as possible to water with a jet of water! It’s brutal, the water is cold and straight out of the tap. Take the time, a watering can in your hand. Observe how water seeps or stays on the surface. There is no point running…
- Water without spraying the leaves! Why? Because the humidity on the leaves is a factor of cryptogamic diseases – in simple words: of appearances of mushrooms. For the same reasons, we water rather in the morning than in the evening , so as not to increase the nocturnal humidity.
Reduce watering needs
It has already been said, it is repeated, but it does not matter: mulch, cover the soil is to limit the need for watering . With very few exceptions – onions, garlic prefer dry land for example – plants enjoy mulching. To know which one is the most suitable, one can refer to this more complete article on mulching . The mulching does not stop at the garden: the flower beds will be very good too, and even the potted plants ! I water the plants much less on the terrace since I covered them with mowing of dried grass!